The carvings on the heavy oak door of St. Tysilio,s church in Menai on Anglesey. Some of the graffiti dates from the 1800s, some are recent.
St. Tysilio's is on an island off Menai and can be reached by a causeway. A church has been on the site since 630 AD.
St. Tysilio's church.
Eighteenth century gravestone showing the skull and crossbones at the medieval St Mary's and St. Nicholas' church in Beaumaris, Anglesey.
Eighteenth century grave showing a weathered skull and crossbones at St. Elphin's church in Warrington.
The inscription for the same grave telling how a sum of 'fiveteen pounds for a Sarmon' to be given yearly was left. The archaic spelling adds to the story and makes this a rather interesting monument.
The tower of the church at Newchurch in Pendle, Lancashire, showing the date stone to the bottom left of the clock, the date given 1653. This is the oldest part of the church.
Around the side of the same tower, there is another date stone above the clock to the left which gives the date 1712.
The Old Friendly Inn, Newchurch in Pendle. An eighteenth century Inn with a sign of a bell over the doorway.
More modern graffiti underneath an arch of the viaduct over the Sankey Canal. The viaduct was built by George Stephenson and dates to 1830.
All photos taken with permission by Dr David Harrison
© Dr David Harrison 2016