Garston was an industrial centre that depended on the River Mersey for its life-blood; from the docks, the saltworks, the mills and the fishing that took place there. Indeed there still is a fish market in Garston. Memories of the 'mud-people' still resonate in Garston, a kind of nineteenth century mud lark community that beech-combed the Mersey mud flats for coal and anything else they could find.
Under the bridge in Garston can be found St. Michael's church, built on a prominent hill, overlooking the Mersey down the road. The earliest church was built on the site in 1225, the second church in 1715, and the present church dates from 1877. Some of the oldest cottages still standing are Seafield Cottages which can be seen along Chapel Road, though there are many old pubs and many other cottages of interest such as Laburnum Terrace and the cottages tucked away in Belmont Place for example.
|The Garston Reading Rooms.|
|The inside of the Reading Rooms.|
|The plaque showing when the Reading Rooms opened, erected by the working men of Garston in memory of Hugh Gaskell Sutton Esq. The Gaskell family were local philanthropists, and a member of the extended family can be found buried in Gateacre Chapel.|
St. Michael's Church, Garston, on an elevated position.
There have been three churches on the site; the first dated from 1225, the second from 1715, and the present Gothic church was constructed in 1877.
A painting of the interior of the second church.
The interior of the present church.
A hatchment from Speke Hall, now hanging in the church.
Another hatchment from Speke Hall.
A pillar in the graveyard that belonged to the second early eighteenth century church.
The gravestone in St. Michael's churchyard of James Richards, a mariner from Penzance in Cornwall, who drowned at Garston in 1813 aged 19. The Mersey was sometimes unforgiving and there are many graves of young sailors in various church yards along the river, such as the one shown in St. Mary's in Hale.
A view of the same grave around 15 years ago showing the Mill in the background, since demolished.
All photos by Dr David Harrison
© Dr David Harrison 2017.