The Rebuilding of Liverpool Castle by Lord Leverhulme
The medieval Liverpool Castle was finally dismantled in the early eighteenth century, but a new Liverpool Castle was constructed by Lord Leverhulme on his estate in Rivington in 1912. More of a folly than an actual castle, the structure looks out over the reservoir much the same as the original castle that it took its name from looked out over the Mersey. It was therefore placed on the list of field trips this summer for the Rawdon history group who, being from Liverpool, appreciated the historical connection of the Rivington area with the city, not just with the castle but with the reservoir itself which supplied Liverpool with clean water during the nineteenth century. Here are some photos of the rebuilt Liverpool castle at Rivington, and they certainly reveal the intricate building work that Leverhulme put into his scheme. For a previous article on Leverhulme click here.
The entrance to the castle
A lost northern Glastonbury looms above the castle